Thursday, April 25, 2013

RV Inspiration

Some of you may have already read my post about our new-to-us, used RV.  Throughout this entire ordeal, I have spent most nights researching all things RV.  I am addicted.  There are so many resources available online if you know what to look for.  Keywords are important.  After finding all of the technical specs we needed to reconstruct our RV pretty much from the walls up, I started researching design ideas.  Because, Hello, this is what I love:  The design part of remodeling.

This has taught me many things, but the most important one is:  RV Decorators are awful.  Who picks the fabrics for RVs??  Even the newer models are at most "OK".  I get the part about using durable, stain resistant fabrics, but COME ON.  Really?  Do the designers go to the fabric wholesalers and find the most hideous colors on purpose?  Why can't camping be cute?  Well, I am here to tell you it can be cute.  Seriously, it really can.  Amongst all of the hideous-make-me want-to-throw-up-in-my-mouth RVs out there, I have stumbled across some super cute remodels.  If your RV has great bones, consider remodeling with some easy changes like paint, hardware and incorporating some color.  You don't have to spend upwards of $60k just to get a decent interior palette in an RV.  I don't agree with some of the color choices per se, but everyone has their own style, so who am I to judge?  Check out all of this awesomeness:

Look at all of that white.  I just love how clean it looks.
The dark floors add a nice contrast.
image via happydayvintage

This is so simple and clean.  Again, the dark floors are striking with the white backdrop.
RV Reno, My family purchased a 1995 bumper-pull travel trailer.  My husband had trouble seeing past the 90s blue carpet, and blue and pink splattered wall paper and draperies.  I looked at the travel trailer completely differently and immediately knew what I wanted the end result to be., So much more open!, Other Spaces Design
image via roomzaar
Another view.  This bedroom looks super cozy and by now, I am sure you have noticed:  I am all about the color white..
RV Reno, My family purchased a 1995 bumper-pull travel trailer.  My husband had trouble seeing past the 90s blue carpet, and blue and pink splattered wall paper and draperies.  I looked at the travel trailer completely differently and immediately knew what I wanted the end result to be., Smidgin of yellow!, Other Spaces Design
image via roomzaar

Shabby Chic say whaat?
This is one of the first RV remodels I fell in love with.  Love.  My husband: not so much.  The colors are super cute.  Notice everything is neutral, so when you want to make a major color change, you only have to change out a few key pieces.
I am completely envious of this look.
image via romantiskahem
image via romantiskahem
image via romantiskahem
The same RV, changed to a black and white color scheme.
image via home-sweet-motorhome

I especially enjoyed reading this blog, because their RV has a layout very similar to ours.  I really loved the detailed posts on how they renovated everything.  The use of color is great and I absolutely adore the white cabinets.  I found it interesting the way they removed the bedroom and created a living room-like area.
image via trippinwithstanley
image via trippinwithstanley

This one is more like a small apartment than an actual home on wheels.  They even travel with their animals!  I really like the kitchen back splash.
Nature Inspired RV Renovation Part 2, Other Spaces Design
image via roomzaar

Again, painting the cabinets white, makes a HUGE difference in the overall feel of an older RV.  The owners of this RV even painted faux marble-like counter tops.

Kitchen-Countertop-After-Painting
image via thenewlighterlife

For more inspiration, check out my RV Board on Pinterest.

Do you have design ideas for RVs?  I would love to read about them.
As always, thanks for reading.  :)

7 comments:

  1. These are some super cute idea's! I like the beach and shabby chic themes. But I think you have to think about keeping things clean. Colors that wont show Everything. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I plan on having the entire seating areas done in leather-like soft vinyl. I actually chose my colors for fabric and vinyl yesterday. Pale greys...they look great. I just hope they look great in our RV when it is done.

      Delete
  2. remind me to send you pictures of my Apartment at the Level.. maybe some more ideas - sho

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your RV adventure will always be exciting, if your interior looked as lively as that! They are all immaculately wonderful! It can make every camper look like a real home! Anyway, which of those beauties did you end up with?

    Liza Pilon @ Prairie City RV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liza,

      We actually purchased a used model and have since remodeled it. Original blog post here: http://angeebees.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-great-motorhome-hunt.html

      The "After" blog is coming soon...

      Delete
  4. I agree – you don't have to spend much to get the look you want for your RV. As long as you are comfortable and satisfied with how your RV looks, there shouldn't be any need add the latest stuff and such to your current setup. Anyway, I hope you managed to achieve the look you were going for. Cheers!

    Christina Hamilton @ Mount Comfort RV

    ReplyDelete